CITY OF WILSON
at Wilson City Hall
February 20, 2018 7:00 p.m.
MAYOR: LARRY PTACEK
COUNCIL PERSONS present:
Others present for the meeting were: Brad Schiermeyer – resident; Larry Langerman – Wilson Fire Chief; Alan Rusch – Ellsworth County Independent/Reporter; Bob Doepp – Wilson Police Chief; Ted Soukup – City Superintendent; and Susan Kriley – City Clerk.
CALL TO ORDER-
Mayor Larry Ptacek called the Regular Meeting of the Wilson City Council to order on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
Lorie Taylor made a motion to approve the February 20, 2018 agenda with additions. Darcy Hubka-Vopat seconded the motion and it carried.
Cindy Heinze made a motion to approve the February 5, 2018 regular meeting minutes. Steve Claussen seconded the motion and it carried.
BILLS AND PAYROLL-
Gary Everett made a motion to approve the February 20, 2018 bills in the amount of $8,726.62 and February 16, 2018 payroll in the amount of $8,922.52. Steve Claussen seconded the motion and it carried. Susan Kriley reported that the check order approved for payment on credit card at the February 5, 2018 Council meeting will be paid from the checking account (listed on February 20, 2018 bills).
Brad Schiermeyer approached the Council about a weekly softball league to be held in Wilson. Games would be on Monday May 28th (Memorial Weekend) and then Sunday’s from 4-8p (approximately) through Sunday August 5th for eight teams. Lorie Taylor made a motion to allow the use of the field and to waive the alcohol prohibition. Darcy Hubka-Vopat seconded the motion and it carried. The Czech Festival committee has been asked to run the concession stand.
Larry Langerman, Fire Chief, reported that the Fire Department voted to refurbish the 1972 AM General into a tanker. The estimated cost would be an additional $12,500 of equipment needed. The Wilson Fire Department received a Kansas Forestry grant for up to $5,000 reimbursement for a 50-50 match. The remaining $7,500 would be funded with the WFD-fundraising account through the city and the fire department. Upkeep and insurance would be the only future costs to the City. Steve Claussen made a motion to allow the fire department to building the tanker using the 1972 Am General. Cindy Heinze seconded the motion and it carried.
Steve Claussen made a motion to sell the Sludge Truck on PurpleWave As Is. Gary Everett seconded the motion and it carried.
The Council thanked Larry Langerman for applying for grants to help fund the fire department.
Larry Langerman reported that the Ellsworth County Commissioners passed the new burn rules for the County. The Council requested Larry provide the City with a draft so the City can pass the new burn rules as well.
Gary Everett made a motion to approve the 2018 Fire Dept officers (approved by the Wilson Fire Dept at their Feb 7, 2018 Annual Meeting): Larry Langerman – Fire Chief; Joe Soukup – 1st Assistant Fire Chief; Jared Steinle – 2nd Assistant Fire Chief; Jeremy Hlad – Secretary; Travis Weinhold – Treasurer; and Jordan Wagner – Reports Officer. Steve Claussen seconded the motion and it carried.
7:23 p.m. Brad Schiermeyer and Larry Langerman left the meeting.
BOARD OF HEALTH-
Gary Everett made a motion to accept the Board of Health report for 2504 Ave E as a hazardous and dangerous structure - panels loose on the peak on the east side of building and broken window on north side - and to give the property owner a ten day notice to abate the nuisance. Cindy Heinze seconded the motion and it carried.
CITY SUPERINTENDENT WITH TED SOUKUP-
- Filled in ruts at burn pile
- Cleaned out ditch by Neal Steinle Repair
- Submitted quarterly sewer samples
- Waiting on price from Circle C Paving
- Alley widening request- according to Rick Nondorf, Ellsworth County Road & Bridge Supervisor, the County only has jurisdiction over the road (Ave E) and not the alley – Council declined to allow the alley to be widened
CITY CLERK WITH SUSAN KRILEY-
- 2018 undomesticated animal permit deadline has passed. There are a few permit holders from 2017 that have not renewed for 2018 yet. The list of permit holders has been given to Police Chief Doepp.
- Reminded Mayor and Council to complete a new Statement of Substantial Interest if they had any changes to the information they submitted at the time of their candidate filing
- Lorie Taylor made a motion to apply for the Smoky Hill Charitable Foundation Clean Up Grant due March 1st (partnering with Wilson Economic Development Corporation). Darcy Hubka-Vopat seconded the motion and it carried.
- Gary Everett made a motion to apply for a Midwest Energy Grant due March 1st for a police taser for a maximum of $1,000 grant money and purchase a taser if the grant is received. Cindy Heinze seconded the motion and it carried.
- Gary Everett made a motion to apply for a Smoky Hill Charitable Foundation Grant due March 15th for a generator to be placed at the water wells. Lorie Taylor seconded the motion and it carried.
- Rabies Clinic will be held Sat April 7, 2018 from 1 – 2:30 at the Wilson Fire Station
- Nov 2018 election-- Deadline for filing is noon on June 1, 2018; three positions open- Steve Claussen, Cindy Heinze, and Darcy Hubka-Vopat
POLICE CHIEF WITH BOB DOEPP-
- EXECUTIVE SESSION—Gary Everett made a motion to enter executive session for five minutes at 7:44 p.m. for attorney client privilege to include Police Chief Bob Doepp and City Clerk Susan Kriley. Lorie Taylor seconded the motion and it carried.
Cindy Heinze made a motion to return to open session at 7:49 p.m. Steve Claussen seconded the motion and it carried.
No action was taken.
Cindy Heinze reported that there has been an RV trailer parked in the street at 23rd and Ave D for an extended period of time. Police Chief Bob Doepp will investigate.
Darcy Hubka-Vopat made a motion (under the recommendation from the Library Board) to remove Lois Francis from the Library Board, add Leland Francis to the Library Board, and to appoint Lucille Janda as Library Board Secretary. Lorie Taylor seconded the motion and it carried.
UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD LAND LEASE FOR 2018-
Steve Claussen made a motion to bill Brad Schiermeyer (312 27th) $145 for 2018 and Eva Grauer Trust (507 27th) $100 for 2018. Lorie Taylor seconded the motion and it carried.
NEXT MEETING -
Next Council meeting- Monday, March 5, 2018 7:00 pm
Meeting adjourned at 7:56 p.m.