CITY OF WILSON
at Wilson City Hall
February 20, 2019 7:00 p.m.
MAYOR: LARRY PTACEK
COUNCIL PERSONS present:
Others present for the meeting were: Ted Soukup City Superintendent; Jonathan Lawrence Police officer; and Susan Kriley City Clerk.
CALL TO ORDER-
Mayor Larry Ptacek called the Regular Meeting of the Wilson City Council to order on Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
Darcy Hubka-Vopat made a motion to approve the February 20, 2019 agenda. Cindy Heinze seconded the motion and it carried.
Lorie Taylor made a motion to approve the February 4, 2019 Regular Meeting minutes. Gary Everett seconded the motion and it carried.
BILLS AND PAYROLL
Gary Everett made a motion to approve the February 20, 2019 bills $27,847.33 and February 19, 2019 payroll $9,185.36. Chuck Crawford seconded the motion and it carried.
INCOME RECEIVED REPORT
The January 2019 Income Received Report was presented.
CITY SUPERINTENDENT UPDATE WITH TED SOUKUP-
· Read water meters
· Working on City Hall closet
· Installed and constructed the cement slab for the decorative Czech Egg to be placed on the north end of Ave E
· Cindy Heinze made a motion to approve the Circle C and 530 tons of chip & seal rock purchase & delivery by Kennys Construction for 2019 for $79,206.44. Chuck Crawford seconded the motion and it carried. 2018 costs were $77,393.75.
· Chuck and Ted reported that Chad with Circle C presented a cost of $6,000 to double chip and seal 31st street from Ave E to the east side of the intersection at Ave D. In addition, it will cost $40,000-$50,000 to install curb and gutter. Without curb and gutter, the chip and seal will break away on the edges and produce more problems than the current sanded road. Before any work is done, Chuck will get a cost from Kennys Construction to crown the road which will need to be done. Chuck also reported that Roger Swart will verify if cedar trees on the south side of 31st are on city right of way and if so, City will be able to remove to help dry out street faster. Roger will do the work at no charge.
· Circle C will provide a quote for chipping and sealing the cul de sac at Hunter Estates.
CITY CLERK UPDATE WITH SUSAN KRILEY-
· Czech Festival theme and Grand Marshal surveys will be mailed out with the city utility bills this week.
· Working with Mayor and City Attorney on new Enhanced Cereal Malt Beverage ordinance to cover state regulated changes effective April 1, 2019. New ordinance to be presented at the March 4, 2019 Council meeting for approval.
POLICE DEPT UPDATE WITH JONATHAN LAWRENCE-
· Working part time
· Have provided a couple of county assists
Cindy Heinze made a motion to provide monetary payment to the governing body when working on non-department issues, employee issues, or when their presence is requested at the Mayor City Attorney at $15 per hour. Gary Everett seconded the motion. The motion carried 2 for- 1 against- and 2- abstain.
The Council commented on the great job that Ted and Marty did on the City Hall storage room. Ted was asked to look into the cost of refinishing the floor or installing a wood grained floor.
FIRE DEPT OFFICER APPOINTMENTS-
Gary Everett made a motion to approve the 2019 Fire Dept officers (approved by the Wilson Fire Dept at their Feb 6, 2019 Annual Meeting): Larry Langerman Fire Chief; Joe Soukup 1st Assistant Fire Chief; Michael Ellis 2nd Assistant Fire Chief; Jeremy Hlad Secretary; Travis Weinhold Treasurer; and Jake Koch Reports Officer. Lorie Taylor seconded the motion and it carried.
LANG MEMORIAL LIBRARY OFFICER AND BOARD MEMBER APPOINTMENT-
Darcy Hubka-Vopat made a motion to approve the updated Lang Memorial Library officers and board members: Margaret Stadelman- President; Phillip Mieszala- Vice-President; Lucille Janda- Secretary; Donna Curtis- Interim Treasurer; board members- Susan Curtiss, Leland Francis, and Terina Templeton. Chuck Crawford seconded the motion and it carried.
Mayor Ptacek announced the resignation of Keith Roush as a Wilson Storm Spotter and thanked Keith for his many years of service.
POLICE CHIEF POSITION-
The deadline for Police Chief applications was extended from February 28, 2019 to March 28, 2019.
2504 AVE E- OWNER PICTURE ROCK LLC- DANIEL ERDMAN-
Mayor Larry Ptacek is making progress with communications.
REFUSE SERVICE WAIVER REQUEST-
Chuck Crawford made a motion to accept the refuse service waiver request for 3207 Ave D- Karen Morgan. Cindy Heinze seconded the motion and it carried.
EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK UPDATES-
Chuck Crawford made a motion to form a committee (Chuck Crawford, Darcy Hubka-Vopat, and Gary Everett) to review the Employee Handbook and provide suggested updates based on the sample League of Kansas Municipalities manual. Gary Everett seconded the motion and it carried.
RESOLUTION 2-2019 ANNUAL SUPPORT OF PRIDE-
Cindy Heinze made a motion to approve the Resolution 2-2019 in support of PRIDE. Gary Everett seconded the motion and it carried.
NEXT MEETING -
Next Council meeting- Monday, March 4, 2019 7:00 pm
Meeting adjourned at 7:30 p.m.