CITY OF WILSON
at Wilson City Hall
June 3, 2019 7:00 p.m.
MAYOR: LARRY PTACEK
COUNCIL PERSONS present:
Others present for the meeting were: Susan Orender Gudenkauf & Malone, Inc.; Alan Rusch Ellsworth County Independent/Reporter; Lexi Rusch guest; Theresa Staudinger City Attorney; Ted Soukup City Superintendent; Jonathan Lawrence Police Officer; and Susan Kriley City Clerk.
CALL TO ORDER-
Mayor Larry Ptacek called the Regular Meeting of the Wilson City Council to order on Monday, June 3, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
Lorie Taylor made a motion to approve the June 3, 2019 agenda. Gary Everett seconded the motion and it carried.
MINUTES- Cindy Heinze made a motion to approve the May 20, 2019 Regular Meeting minutes. Chuck Crawford seconded the motion and it carried.
BILLS and PAYROLL
Gary Everett made a motion to approve the June 3, 2019 bills for $15,776.64 and June 3, 2019 Payroll $11,697.83. Chuck Crawford seconded the motion and it carried.
2018 AUDIT REPORT presentation by Susan Orender, Gudenkauf & Malone, Inc.-
Susan Orender, Gudenkauf & Malone, Inc., was present to answer any questions from the Mayor or Council regarding the FY 2018 Audit. She commended the Mayor and Council for their involvement and Gudenkauf & Malone, Inc. issued a clean opinion with no budget or cash violations. Gary Everett made a motion to approve the FY 2018 Audit. Cindy Heinze seconded the motion and it carried.
7:05 p.m. Susan Orender left the meeting.
CITY SUPERINTENDENT UPDATE WITH TED SOUKUP via Susan Kriley-
· Mowing and weedeating
· Two grave internments
· Sweeping streets
· Will spray for mosquitos- Wed, Thurs, and Fri
· Had the two front tires on the 2001 Dodge van replaced, scheduled the two back tires and alignment.
· Requested to use Jim Soukup to mow and weedeat Cemetery on an as needed basis since Bob Powers time to mow and weedeat is limited. Cindy Heinze made a motion to hire Jim Soukup on an as needed basis at the same pay from 2018. Chuck Crawford seconded the motion and it carried.
CITY CLERK UPDATE WITH SUSAN KRILEY-
· Provided the Mayor and Council with the 2020 Financial Information which was reviewed by Gary Everett. Gary and Susan will start the 2020 Budget preparation.
· Annual work compensation audit is scheduled for Wed June 5, 2019.
POLICE CHIEF UPDATE presented by Jonathan Lawrence in Josh Tiptons absence-
· Presented report summary
· Made (7) traffic stops, (17) citizen assists, (6) medical
· Assisted in Testicle Festival and Alumni for presence
· Josh will have training days in September
· Biking Across Kansas will be in Wilson June 11-12th. Police Dept would like to block off Ave E from 25th to 26th (no intersections) on June 11th from 11a-5p. They will check with businesses in that block to determine if possible to do.
· Purchased items are in and installed (if applicable): vehicle cage, glocks, part of uniforms ordered
· Submitted two grants: Walmart and Kansas Pipeline
Chuck Crawford reported that he attended the Ellsworth County Strategic Doing session. He also attended the May 29, 2019 Smoky Hill Development Corporation meeting- housing project was awarded 12 houses to be built in Ellsworth and two houses to be built in Kanopolis. If money is left over, Wilson may get a house. There are Homeowner Assistance Grants through Dec 2019.
Cindy Heinze reported that the Cemetery fence repairs were done before Memorial Day. Ted Soukup is working on scheduling the electrical repairs. The bicycle sculpture made by Wilson Schools will not be placed in a city park, they will keep it at the school. Cindy requested repairs be made to the visitors side dugout blench on the North baseball field before the June 29th City baseball tournament day.
TRANSIENT GUEST TAX ORDINANCE NO 849- DRAFT-
A summary of the Transient Guest Tax issues was presented to the Council (including information from Dan Steffen, Kansas Dept of Commerce, via conference call). If the Council chooses to appoint a committee, Dan recommended including major business representatives and to either give the committee the authority to spend the money OR have the committee make recommendations to the governing body.
NEXT MEETING -
Next Council meeting- Monday, June 17, 2019 7:00 pm
Meeting adjourned at 7:30 p.m.